Addiction is a battle with many ups and downs and struggling to resist your cravings and desires can be a real mental struggle. It is also an emotional grind trying to rebuild your damaged relationships. Many people struggle to get through all this and quit their addiction. Therefore, you should be aware of the challenges and the bumps you will likely encounter en route to recovery. It will help you overcome these challenges and accept the hardships of the journey ahead of you to finally experience sober living in St. George, Utah.
Below, we have listed the reasons that can make quitting addiction challenging!
- Difficult emotions: It might be easy for you to stay sober as long as your life is smooth and you are in a good mood. However, when things go south, it might get challenging for you to deal with those difficult emotions. You might even resort to drugs and alcohol to cope. Therefore, you should learn how to manage stress and cope with difficult emotions without falling back on your addiction.
- Cravings: Cravings can be challenging to deal with. However, coping with cravings when you have started the sobriety journey can be even more challenging. Therefore, learn how to deal with cravings by following a multifaceted approach — identifying and avoiding triggers and learning emotional regulation strategies to prevent you from giving in to your cravings.
- Relationship problems: Usually, it’s your relationships that get affected the most during addiction. Consumption of drugs and alcohol can lead to deceptive behavior, thus damaging the trust between you and your loved ones. Moreover, you might even start lying to them and stealing from them to sustain your addiction. Addiction can impair your judgment, leading to fights and arguments. Therefore, talk to your loved ones and mend your broken relationships. Remember, they only want the best for you.
- Money problems: Besides relationships, addiction also hits your finances significantly as drugs and alcohol do not come for free. Plus, the high-interest debts, medical costs, legal costs, and lost income might also add to your financial problems. Therefore, it can be overwhelming to realize that your finances are not in the right state when you come out of the treatment. It can exacerbate your stress and make it difficult to remain sober.
- Loneliness: After coming out of drug rehab in Utah, you might be confused about whom to spend time with. It’s not wise to hang around your old friends with whom you used to consume drugs and alcohol, as you will most likely slide back into your old habits. And, you might not have new friends yet. Therefore, you may feel lonely, resulting in boredom, anxiety, and depression which can make quitting addiction more challenging. Therefore, do not take loneliness lightly and make friends within your recovery and support community.
About Steps Recovery Centers- A Substance Abuse Treatment Center in Utah
The above-mentioned reasons often make quitting an addiction challenging. Therefore, you should prepare yourself to deal with them to make your recovery journey easy. At Steps Recovery Centers, we help people fight addiction with the proper guidance and help from our expert therapists and counselors. Our clients choose us for our effective treatment programs and specialization in substance use disorder treatments. For more information, contact us at 801-800-8142.