You may assume depression is the feeling you experience when going through a breakup or having had a bad week at work. But, you might be wrong as being sad and depressed are not the same.
Actual depression is much more complicated which comes with some specific severe symptoms that can help you determine if you are just sad or depressed. Continuous unshakable feelings can lead to depression.
Below, we have listed the top six ways depression manifests in your everyday life.
1. Hopeless outlook- Major depression can significantly influence how you feel about life. Having a helpless or hopeless outlook towards life is the most common way depression manifests in your everyday life.
You may start feeling worthless or develop feelings of self-hate and inappropriate guilt. You may also begin to question your existence and ask yourself, “What is the point of living?”.
2. Lost interest– Losing interest or withdrawing from activities you once enjoyed and looked forward to is another sign of depression manifesting in your life. Depression can deprive you of the pleasure or enjoyment you might have experienced in doing things you love.
You may even lose interest in sex, resulting in decreased sex drive and impotence.
3. Increased fatigue and sleep problems- You might have stopped indulging in things you have loved in the past because you feel tired. Depression often comes with a feeling of fatigue and lack of energy, which can be among the most common ways of depression manifesting in your life. It can lead to excessive sleeping.
However, depression can also come with insomnia, resulting in a feeling of exhaustion. It can lead to a lack of quality sleep and anxiety problems, worsening your health.
4. Change in appetite and weight- If you struggle with depression, you may experience constant weight and appetite fluctuations. You may either have an increased appetite and gain weight or lose weight and do not feel like eating anything.
If these changes are not intentional, they are most likely to be depression symptoms.
5. Uncontrollable emotions– One minute, you may be crying uncontrollably; the next minute, there may be a sudden outburst of anger. Nothing specific might have prompted this change. It may have just been your emotions experiencing a rollercoaster ride.
Mood swings are a common symptom of depression.
6. Looking at death- Once depression has entered your life, you may experience suicidal thoughts. As per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2013, over 42,000 people died from suicide in the US.
However, remember that people who commit suicide show symptoms first. If you know of someone who might try to commit suicide:
- Call 911 or local emergency number
- Stay with them until help arrives
- Listen to them, but do not judge, threaten, argue, or yell
- Remove things like guns, medications, and knives that may cause harm.
About Steps Recovery Centers
You must always look out for the above-mentioned ways through which depression may manifest in your everyday life. At Steps Recovery Centers, we are a rehab center helping people fight and overcome addiction, depression, and anxiety. Our clients choose us because our experienced staff is trained to take care of every resident at the center. For more information about us, contact us at 801-800-8142.