It can be surprising how much “get through it” quotes can help uplift and inspire you during tough times. Here are 30 tough life quotes. Choose one (or a few) for a motto, memorize it, and repeat it to yourself when the going gets tough.
1.“Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.” – Dale Carnegie
2. “When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
3. “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
4. “You’re going to go through tough times – that’s life. But I say, ‘Nothing happens to you, it happens for you.’ See the positive in negative events.” – Joel Osteen
5. “Certainly, there were tough times, but no, you can’t go back and change it. So, why dwell on it?” – Alex Smith
6. “The key to life when it gets tough is to keep moving. Just keep moving.” – Tyler Perry
7. “Tough times never last, but tough people do.” – Robert H. Schuller
8. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” – Bernice Johnson Reagon
9. “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.” – Carl Bard
10. “Life is tough; and if you have the ability to laugh at it, you have the ability to enjoy it.” – Salma Hayek
11. “Difficult roads always lead to beautiful destinations.” – Zig Ziglar
12. “Look in the mirror. That’s your competition.” – John Assaraf
13. “Challenges are what make life interesting and overcoming them is what makes life meaningful.” – Joshua J. Marine
14. “It’s never too late to be what you might have been.” – George Eliot
15. “Everything you’ve ever wanted is on the other side of fear.” – George Addair
16. “Nobody trips over mountains. It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble. Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
17. “Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you.” – Walt Whitman
18. “A little progress each day adds up to big results.” – Satya Nani
19. “Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” – A.A. Milne
20. “There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is merely the comparison of one state to the other. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss.” – Alexandre Dumas
21. “A champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.” – Serena Williams
22. “ Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe
23. “You are enough just as you are.” – Meghan Markle
24. “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” – Thomas Edison
25. “In essence, if we want to direct our lives, we must take control of our consistent actions. It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” – Tony Robbins
26. “A diamond is a chunk of coal that did well under pressure.” – Henry Kissinger
27. “If you have good thoughts, they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” – Roald Dahl
28. “Life chips away at us all. Some play the victim. Some choose to be a survivor. And then there are those who choose to conquer.” – Author Unknown
29. “And here you are living despite it all.” – Rupi Kaur
30. “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” – Helen Keller
If tough life quotes aren’t enough to get you through the hard times, you may want to seek professional help. The knowledgeable, experienced, and empathetic staff at Steps Recovery Centers can get you further down your path to recovery.
Call our 24-hour hotline or live chat online at any time!